Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

Okay, so not a bunch of coconuts, but I did buy a coconut a couple of weeks ago for my nieces to try. I guess it all started about 7 months ago when Brent and I babysat Jenna and Brooke for most of a day while Matt and Kelie were out of town. The girls had been running around the house and wanted us to play everything and anything with them, so because we were really tired(this was before Owen, so I don't think we really knew what tired was) Brent came up with a game that we could do while sitting down and virtually took no energy to play. The girls would stand on our little end table and pretend to be monkeys. They would throw us different kinds of fruit like pineapple, mango, and coconut. We now have to play that game pretty much every time they come over, which I am okay with because like I mentioned you can sit down and it takes no energy. Thank goodness Brent came up with this game and not some high energy game that they would want to play all the time!

Well, a few months later Jenna called us on a Sunday afternoon to inform us that she had eaten a mango and had liked it! This might not seem that grand of an event to most of you, but for those that know Jenna she doesn't really like that many fruits. Shortly after that when we were playing the monkey game Jenna asked us what a coconut tasted like and we told her we would have to buy one sometime so she could try it. Anyway, after that every time they saw Brent they would say "Brent, I still haven't tried a coconut."

So, two weeks ago Kelie went to NYC with some her friends and I watched the girls for part of the time. I thought it would be fun to buy a coconut so they could try it. Matt dropped them off at my house at 7:30 one morning and by 7:50 they had convinced Brent it was time to try the coconut. However after we opened it up, they decided they would rather not try the coconut! At first we thought it might be rotten, so I think they may have been turned off by that. It ended up being fine, but we still couldn't convince them. I can hardly blame them though, coconut is not my favorite thing. Brooke eventually tried it later when they came by in the evening, but Jenna just couldn't make herself eat it. Oh well, I suppose Jenna will have to come up with something new to say everytime she sees Brent. Although technically I guess she could still say she hadn't tried a coconut, but I figure she won't since we gave her a shot at it. Here are some pictures of them draining the coconut milk and sawing it open. If nothing else, I guess they loved the opening part!




3 comments:

Phillip and Lisa Hill said...

I wonder why the girls don't eat fruit. Where would that come from????

marcie said...

Jenna's too much like her Mom.

That is too funny.

kelie said...

That Jenna, she's a smart girl. She knows to stay away from that crazy "fruit" stuff.

BTW, thanks for posting cute stories about jenna and brooke, at least the family can find out about them somehow, seeing as I haven't been blogging much lately! lol