Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Surprise trip to Utah

I decided, kind of, on a whim (or what I thought was a whim) that I wanted to go to Utah to visit my Dad for his birthday and for Easter. I looked at plane tickets and realized that Southwest was having an awesome deal, so I emailed my Mom and set everything up without my Dad knowing. As it turns out I don't think my thoughts to visit my Dad where anything close to whimsical, in fact I am pretty confident I was lead to do what I did by the Spirit. I thought many times that maybe I would just wait until May when Brent had a conference and would be gone a lot of the week, but I just kept thinking I wanted to be there for Easter and his birthday. So grateful that I was not only able to see him but to be able to visit with him and have him play and read with Owen and enjoy some of his last days on the earth.

Brent couldn't come with us, so Owen and I made the flight by ourselves. Owen did okay, but not great on the first flight and was really good on the second flight. My Mom and Mark picked us up at the airport and brought us back to Oakley. My Dad was taking a nap on the couch when we came in and we totally surprised him big time. I was a little worried that he actual knew I was coming, but he claims he had no idea. Owen took a little while to warm up but after some dinner and a bath he was sitting around watching soccer with uncle Mark and Grandpa and loving life.

We had a great trip...except for the sleeping part. Owen decided around 2 or 3 in the morning every night that he didn't want to sleep in his pack n' play and because I didn't want to keep everyone else up, I let him sleep with me, which meant I didn't get much sleep. I was pretty frustrated most nights and even thought so many times that I shouldn't have come because I was so tired and worn out. Of course I completely think it was worth every stressful night and although I wish it would have been more restful, I wouldn't trade my time there for anything.

We didn't do anything real exciting while we were there, just played with the cousins and Grandma and Grandpa and with "Key"(he called Mark this after about the second day). Owen was obsessed with all the balls my nieces and nephews have in there house and between that and all the "O" looking toys he was set. He was a little scared of Grandpa for some of the time, but mostly think it was because he had oxygen. There were a couple of things he would do with Grandpa and that was show him his alphabet book and run his cars across his tray. In fact he just kept wanting to show Grandpa the page of the letter B because the balls were on that page. Grandpa kept wanting to move on, but Owen kept flipping it back. It was actually pretty funny. He did however, say most of his letters for Grandpa on his birthday right before we had the party. I think it was the best he has ever done them as far as saying so many in a row.

We went swimming in the indoor pool they have in Kamas. Owen loved the slide and kept wanting to get out of the pool everytime after we went down so he could do it again. Needless to say he wasn't very happy about having to go home.



Reading with Grandpa



Playing with the b-ball under the stools



Swimming and playing with of course a water ball

We had an Easter egg hunt with the cousins. Here is Owen with Daylen and Cannon



Smiling after realizing what is actual in the eggs




Watching Tangled with Mariah and Uncle Mark



Grandpa's birthday party




Mark and Grandma introduced Owen to punch. He didn't want to put it down, but he still wanted his milk as well!
I just love this picture of Owen. He just looks like he is having a good time.

Playing with all the "O" toys. If you look in the background you can see all the toys he had been carrying around that are circles or rings.

Owen with all the Melanie's kids. Mariah, Daylen, Cannon, and Maleah
We left on Thursday night to go visit some of Brent's family. We had a good time jumping on the trampoline, playing on the slide, and playing with Jack's basketball hoop.Valerie and Andrea (Brent's sisters) came and brought Emma and Annie. It was so much fun to see them. Owen loves to be around other kids, so he had a lot of fun playing with Emma and getting into trouble with her. We played games and had lots of fun.

So, glad I got to visit. We wish we lived closer to family. Maybe one day!





Being tickled by Uncle Rodney and cousin Jack

This is the best picture I could get of Owen and Emma. I think they really did like each other.

Jack and Owen. Owen loved playing with Jack. Quick side story that I want to remember because it was so cute. When we were saying good-bye to Rodney's family Jack said, "I am so glad that Missy and Owen got to come visit...but especially Missy. Ahh..isn't that so cute. I totally expected him to say, "especially Owen."

Laurie, Owen, and Jessica

Playing with the girls before bed


1 comment:

Amanda Petersen said...

Hi Missy! I'm so glad you got to go to Utah and spend time with your family. I'm so sorry about your Dad! I love you and will keep you and your family in my prayers. Keep the updates coming! Owen is getting so big...he's so darling!