Friday, April 23, 2010

Maybe it's Spring or maybe it's just my adorable baby!

I have an adorable baby and I know it, but up until recently when I have taken Owen to the store he has been in his cozy cover and people haven't been able to see him. Recently, the weather has been beautiful and so now when I take him out everyone can see him because he doesn't have anything over his car seat. So maybe it is just the fact that people can now see him or maybe it is just the nice weather that has got all of the loonies in Columbia out of their houses and out roaming the supermarkets. I guess they have probably been out there all along, but have just recently been brought to my attention.

Last week I went to a Gerbes grocery store not far from my house. As I was walking around the store I walked by a man who says, "Hello, how are you doing today?" I said, "Good, thanks." I kept walking because to be honest he was already creeping me out. He didn't have a basket and he didn't look like he was shopping for anything. I think he was just roaming around the store. Then he says to me, "Hey..." I stopped and thought about not turning around, but I eventually did. He looked at me for a second kind of like he is thinking about what he was going to say and then says, "That's a good looking baby you got there." I muttered a thank you and took off as fast as I could go to another part of the store. Weird. Creepy. I don't know if he was trying to hit on me or what, but in any case I didn't want him looking at me or my baby.

Okay so that is story number one. The next day I go to Walmart. Owen is getting a little fussy I am trying to get my stuff and get out of there as fast as I can. I stop to get hot dogs. I pick some up and am just about ready to start for the cheese when this little girl comes up beside my basket and starts looking at Owen.

Her to her mom: "I want to see the baby."
Her to me: "He has a big head."
Me (thinking): Nice. Not the best compliment you can give a mother but whatever. Alright, I really need to get out of here before Owen freaks out.
Her to me: "What is that?" (pointing to one of Owen's toys)
Me: "His toy."

In the mean time she is holding on to my cart and I can't move without moving her. At first I was okay with her looking at Owen for a second, but a second has turned into a minute if not two. There is a lady trying to look at something where my cart is but she can't really get to it because I am in the way. She is probably thinking I am being pretty rude. I would have thought the same thing. I thought about just moving my cart thus probably causing the little girl (probably around the age of 7) to fall or loose her balance or something, but I seemed to remember something about me praying that morning to be nice and Christlike and that didn't seem to fit the category about being Christlike. So, I just waited...and waited..and waited...until finally her mother came over and took her away? No!!! Her mother came over and starting talking to me like she knew me and about how blue Owen's eyes were and how her eyes were green. Finally, the little girl lets go of the basket and I am free to finish my shopping. Seriously people, I don't mind if you look...just look quickly and move on. Well, I take that back. I don't mind if you look....if it is from a distance and if you aren't creepy about it. (Man in the other store.)

Maybe I should just wish for bad weather that way when I go to the store everyone will be depressed and gloomy like they were in the winter and won't want to look or talk to me or Owen. That way I can put on his cozy cover and be on my way. Man my life is hard. Everyone thinks my baby is so adorable and just can't help but tell me about it. So in honor of all the people that think he is so cute. Here is a video of him laughing. I can't but think he is pretty adorable myself.


Untitled from Melissa Clark on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Amanda Petersen said...

You do have an adorable baby..that's for sure! That video is sooo cute! What a sweetie pie! Love it!

marcie said...

Can you blame them for staring?! He IS very adorable!

Matt & Andrea said...

I'd stop you and talk if I saw you in a store. And his eyes ARE very blue...and he looks just like his mommy! Love the giggles.

Michael said...

Oh, Brent. The popped collar...that is what's really priceless! I love it! Cute kid too :)

Brent said...

The collar isn't popped! The shirt is just sliding up because i'm bending over.