Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Easter and Jesus's Birthday

We had a good Easter this year. We decorated Easter eggs on the Friday before. We only did a few eggs, because they end up going bad before we use them. It was still fun to do and Owen even participated a little. Well, not really...his participation consisted of taking a picture with Daddy and then going to bed. He has starting grabbing things when he gets close to something that interests him and I can just imagine how fun it would have been to get dye all over the place. I am sure it will happen plenty of times in my near future, but I didn't really want this year to be one of them.

Brent woke up before me on Saturday(doesn't usually happen on a Saturday) and was doing something in the kitchen. I didn't know what he was doing and to be honest I didn't really care that much since I was so tired. When I asked him about he said "go see for yourself." I went out to find three Easter baskets on the table. Now this is going to sound really ridiculous, but I almost starting crying. Brent is very thoughtful and does lots of things for me, but he doesn't often surprise me with this kind of stuff. Not because he doesn't try, but because I usually find out accidentally or ruin the surprise. I was genuinely surprised and was very grateful that he tried extra hard to make sure it was a surprise. I loved it. It may not sound like a lot, but sometimes you just want to have the holiday things(traditions) happen without having to do them yourself. This was one of those things. I wanted to do a basket for Owen, but didn't really have the energy to get it together.

We watched conference the rest of the morning and afternoon and then went to Matt's house for a BBQ. Very fun day. Sunday we watch conference and ate a traditional Easter dinner and hung out for a while at Kelie's parents house.

I had a very good Easter this year. I decided to make sure and think a lot about the meaning of Easter and the events that led up to it. Other religions really focus hard on Easter, not that I think Latter-day Saints don't but we don't really put much emphasis on Palm Sunday and Good Friday, etc. So this year I tried really hard to think about what happened on those particular days and I read all the account of the last week of the Savior's life on the weekend before Easter. It really helped me to remember the Savior and reminded me how thankful I am for his life and for the resurrection. It is so wonderful to me to know that the "sting of death is swallowed up in Christ."

Owen's dying a blue egg

Easter Baskets

Owen with his basket


Owen with his first Tonka truck!

Tuesday I decided to throw together a birthday party to celebrate the birth of Christ and to commemorate the 180th birthday of the organization of the church. We played two games: pin the manger on the stable and a trivia board game with questions about the birth of Christ and the organization of the church. Jenna and Brooke did pretty good considering I wasn't very good about making the questions super, super easy. Afterwards we ate brownies and ice cream. It was very fun.

Brooke looking at where she put the manger. I love Jenna's expression!


Brent pinning on the manger

Brent and Owen at the party


Jenna posing with the brownies and ice cream. If you look closely you can see that with chocolate syrup I wrote Happy B-day, but then because I wrote too big I had to write Jesus on the side. Not the greatest decorating I have ever done.

No comments: