Just for journaling purposes I wanted to post some pictures of my Dad's funeral. Brent and I got in the car right after sacrament meeting on that Sunday (May 8th) and drove to Denver. Then we woke up on Monday and drove the other 8 or so hours to Oakley. I was kind of a basket case the entire time. It seemed like the longest trip of my life. We got there later than we had planned and it was pretty chaotic getting dinner fed to everyone and getting everyone ready for the viewing. I guess it didn't really hit me, not that I hadn't cried or felt sad but it didn't real hit me that he was gone until I we went to the viewing. I have to say that viewing are not my favorite, but it is interesting how they somehow kind of put you on the path to appropriately mourn. I actually think that it was helpful to see so many people who loved my Dad and drove many miles to come to help and comfort us and to remember him. How grateful I am for good friends and family who make life's difficult times so much easier to handle.
We had another viewing before the funeral and this one I didn't do so well at, as far as controlling my emotions. The line was so long they had to cut people off so that we could start the funeral. Dad had his program written up for a while now. I guess he really wanted it to be the way he wanted. His sisters Catherine and Jeanne read the obituary and gave early remembrances. He had all eight of his children speak and bear their testimonies and had several musical numbers in between us. He then had our old Bishop and dear family friend, Bishop Roberts speak. I remember walking into the funeral feeling great sorrow and crying through a lot of my siblings remarks, but about half way through I felt at peace. I told Brent when we sat down before the funeral started that I could feel my Dad there. I knew he was there and he was happy with the program!
My Dad originally had my Mom down as singing the closing song, but she wasn't sure she would be able to get through it, so she enlisted my sisters to sing it as well. I think my Mom was stronger than the all of the rest of us. What is amazing to me is that she sang that same song at my Dad's mission farewell, so it had great meaning for them and she still sang probably just as well as she did at his farewell. I tell you what, my Mom is amazing! Here are a few pictures.
WHMS Princess Breakfast
4 years ago







No comments:
Post a Comment